Sunday 1 January 2017

Mad Mike's writing blog, book of the year 2016

This isn't about books written this year, or even books published this year; this is about the books I have read this year, and there are thirty or so to choose from, so, where does one start?
I won't bore you with a big list and go through each book individually, suffice to say that many of the books I've read this year have already been reviewed on this blog, but bear with, there might be a surprise or two in store!
For those of you that are new here, or just flitter in and out, you can check back through my historic posts or look at Amazon/Goodreads, for other reviews, if you like.
So, without further ado, let's move straight to the top five.

In at number 5, with its searing pace and intoxicating soundtrack is, Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman. It was a close call between this book and Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club, but Robin Wasserman's book just edged it for me, being just a bit fresher and fiercer in its delivery, and I like the way the characters comes back to me, every time I listen Nirvana. (Original post 25.7.16)






In at number 4, with some seriously weird shit going on, in good old London town, is Ben Aaronovitch's, Rivers of London, (see blog post 20.11.16) which is fresh, funny, factual and a bloody good read.






On to number 3 then, and Diane Setterfield's, The Thirteenth Tale. Haunting and deliciously written in equal measure - with hints of Susan Hill and Kate Mosse - this brilliantly told story of the dysfunctional upbringing of a bestselling, multi award winning, critically acclaimed, world renowned author, (who tells her tale, her thirteenth) about life in a crumbling mansion, has all the twists and turns and spookiness, of the best books in the genre. (Watch out for a full review soon).


And the book that just missed out on the top spot? In at number 2 this year, is Carlos Ruiz Zafon's, The Angel's Game, and like the book it beat into third, it has such atmosphere, such eloquence in its delivery, and characters like those in only the best books, characters that stick with you long after you've turned the last page. (8.11.16)









So, my favourite book of the year, the book that beat them all, is a book I read and blogger about, way back in April (25/4/16), Alice Sebold's, The Lovely Bones. Even after all that time, I can still feel Susie Salmon's panic, as she realises that she is going to die in a hole in the ground. I can still picture the gathering, when the town's people, friends and family, hold their vigil, where she went missing, and there is much, much more too. 'Wow. A book about murder, death, abandonment loss and depression, that leaves you feeling happy, joyous and longing for more,I said at the time, and I stand by that statement and it's why it is my number one choice for 2016.

An honorary mention, goes to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Pt 1 + 2), which is a great story, but because it is a screenplay and (in my opinion) far to short, I have discounted it from the rankings.

No comments: